If you are new to Paleo or Whole 30 diets, they are an opportunity for you to omit different foods that are challenging for your gut to process. Leaky gut and other digestive challenges like Celiac Disease, Crohns, and Dairy Intolerance all make it tricky to find family friendly meals that are budget friendly for the nutrition minded yet frugal mom.
We have a large family, 11 kids to be exact, and LOTS of allergies or digestive issues. This one pot wonder of a meal is an absolute favorite!!! Its easy to make, my kids can help in the kitchen, it meats all dietary issues, and is nice and lean for my husband and myself to stay in shape.
I always make a giant pot of this chili and use it as a “double meal”. Then I have a full meal left over for another night of the week. This makes my menu planning easy, meal prep time cut in half, and busy family nights less stressful on the momma!!!
If you are on a super tight budget, you can cut the beef in half and add in 2 lbs of dried Kidney or Red Beans that you’ve soaked and cooked. Just note that it will still be GF, but it will NOT be Paleo or Whole 30 since both omit legumes from their diet.
- 4 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 4 cans (23 oz) petite diced tomatoes
- 3 onions diced or shredded
- 8 large carrots diced or shredded
- 4 large zucchini diced or shredded
- 4 large sweet potatoes peeled & diced
- 16 oz portabello mushrooms chopped bite size
- 4 TBSP minced garlic
- 4 TBSP chili powder
- 2 TBSP cumin
- 2 TBSP parsley
- 2 TBSP salt (more or less to taste)
- 1 TBSP oregano
- 1 tsp pepper (or more if you like)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- cheddar cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Using a food processor is a quick and easy way to shred your veggies for this chili, but I usually just chop them up. This gives kids a job to do as helpers in the kitchen.
- Use large stock pot (10 qt or more)
- Brown ground beef, adding a small amount of olive oil if your beef is super lean.
- Add in onions and cover until onions are soft and clear
- Add in ALL other veggies and spices
- Stir well
- Simmer on med-low for 30 min. or more until veggies are cooked through
- Serve hot with optional cheese and sour cream