Recently our youngest daughter, Joanna, turned 8! I can’t believe how fast time flies. I swear she was just a toddler yesterday! Joanna has a lot of allergies and a very sensitive body. She will break out in hives from head to toe from the smallest bit of preservative or dye, and it always takes the hives 5-7 days to clear! Oh man!So, we have learned to bake and cook from scratch more than ever. Honestly, we all love to cook around here, so it wasn’t too tough of a job. The trick lies in finding things that actually taste good while meeting her allergy needs as well as our other allergy kids in the house.
We try not to use too much sugar around here, but birthdays are birthdays and sugar is used- and we are just fine with that!!! 🙂
Bring on some fudgy chocolate layer cake!!! We use this recipe for simple cupcakes too. They are close to brownies and not to fluffy cake. The more fudge the better around here!!! The hint of cinnamon adds depth to this cake, but you could leave it out and add in peppermint or almond extract too. 🙂
When we make it as a cake we add layers of fudge in the middle as well as real strawberry frosting. Using freeze dried strawberries is like MAGIC!!! Turns the frosting pink and gives a POW of strawberry in your mouth!!!
- ¾ cup butter
- 6 eggs, whisked
- 1½ cup honey
- 12 oz dark chocolate chips
- 2 TBSP cinnamon **can be substituted with peppermint or almond extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp real vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 TBSP coconut flour
- 2 cups freeze dried strawberries
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 1½ cup milk of choice
- melt butter and chocolate chips together
- mix in honey, vanilla and cinnamon
- mix in whisked eggs until incorporated
- in a different bowl, combine salt, flours and baking powder
- now add the dry and wet ingredients together
- pour in greased pans
- makes 3 layers of 8" circle pans or
- place ¼ cup of batter in each muffin cup (use a ¼ c ice cream scooper for ease)
- bake circle cake pans for 30-40 mins
- bake cupcakes for 18-22 mins.
- pulse freeze dried berries in blender until dusty
- combine powdered berries and powdered sugar
- then SLOWLY mix in milk.
- start with ½ cup at a time
- continue until desired thickness